What is Cannabis?
Cannabis is a genus of flowering plants that have been cultivated for their medicinal uses dating back thousands of years. Cannabis naturally produces over 100 different active compounds called cannabinoids, which are similar to endocannabinoids naturally produced by our body.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD) are two of the most common compounds found in cannabis used to treat a wide range of conditions and symptoms.
- THC is a psychoactive compound commonly used to alleviate symptoms such as pain, insomnia and nausea.
- CBD does not produce psychoactive effects and is often used to manage symptoms like inflammation, anxiety and seizures.
The Endocannabinoid System in Your Body
The human Endocannabinoid System (ECS) was discovered in the 1990s during research on the effects of cannabis on the human body. The ECS is essential in helping keep our bodies functioning at optimal levels by regulating our mood, energy levels, immune function, blood pressure, pain levels, stress, hunger, and more. Although the endocannabinoid system is still a relatively new subject to many, research suggests it is one of the most crucial systems in maintaining several body functions
Three Main Components of the Endocannabinoid System
- Endocannabinoids are naturally formed by the body and expressed throughout the central nervous and peripheral nervous systems. They help carry signals between our nerve cells to keep all internal functions running smoothly.
- Cannabinoid receptors are present throughout the body and embedded in our cell membranes. Phytocannabinoids found in medical cannabis, like THC and CBD, attach to cannabinoid receptors in the ECS.
- CB1 receptors are abundant in the central nervous system (CNS), particularly in the cortex, basal ganglia, hippocampus, and cerebellum.
- CB2 receptors are mainly found on white blood cells, tonsils, and the spleen and have been shown to regulate immune cell function.
How do Cannabinoids Work and Symptom Relief
When compounds like CBD and THC are introduced into the body, the ECS transports them throughout the body to promote homeostasis by regulating many bodily functions.
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is vital in regulating many body functions, including our bodies’ response to pain. Cannabinoids like THC and CBD interact with the system’s cannabinoid receptors to alleviate a wide range of symptoms, including pain, inflammation, nausea, depression, and more.
Cannabis Common Terms
While cannabis is most commonly known for its medicinal uses, cannabis is also cultivated for a wide range of products, foods, and medicines.
- HEMP legally refers to cannabis that consists of less than 0.3% THC. While hemp still contains a low percentage of this cannabinoid, it is most often seen as the “non-psychoactive” form of cannabis. Hemp is used for its fiber in a wide variety of products, including food, rope, clothing, bioplastics, and more.
- MEDICAL CANNABIS is a legal medicine in the state of Texas that is prescribed by board-certified, registered physicians to treat the symptoms of the qualifying conditions in the Compassionate Use Program. In Texas, medical cannabis can contain up to 1% THC by weight of finished product. This means that a 1-gram gummies may contain up to 10 milligrams of THC, a 2-gram gummy may contain up to 20 milligrams of THC and so on. All medical cannabis products in Texas must undergo rigorous testing and analysis to ensure that products are consistent, purely extracted, correctly formulated and dosed, and are free of any toxins or heavy metals. While there is no age minimum for medical cannabis in Texas, you must meet a few requirements to access it:
- Be a permanent Texas resident
- Receive a prescription through a CURT-registered physician
- Have an approved condition
- CANNABINOIDS are naturally occurring compounds found in cannabis that work with receptors in the body to improve pain levels, sleep, appetite, and more.
- THC (TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL) is one of the main active cannabinoids that triggers the body to produce dopamine, the “feel-good” chemical, and is thus known for its mind-altering effects.
- CBD (CANNABIDIOL) is a cannabinoid that is used for its medicinal and therapeutic properties. Unlike THC, CBD does not produce the “high” commonly associated with recreational cannabis. Instead, this non-psychoactive compound is used to help manage symptoms like seizures, inflammation, pain, and anxiety.
- CBN (CANNABINOL) is one of over a hundred cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. CBN may produce a relaxing, sedative effect and is often used as a natural sleep aid. When taken with THC, CBN may enhance the sedative effects of medical cannabis and alleviate symptoms such as restlessness, insomnia and more. Our Sweet Dreams gummies contain CBN, THC and targeted rest terpenes to help relieve sleep-related issues associated with qualifying medical conditions.
- TERPENES are naturally occurring compounds found in many citrus fruits, herbs, and most importantly, the cannabis plant. Terpenes are responsible for the way most plants smell and serve as a defense mechanism against pests and other predators. Beyond providing just a unique scent, terpenes may provide a variety of therapeutic benefits like CBD, CBN and THC. Terpenes are thought to contribute to the “entourage effect” – a term suggesting that the presence of a broader portfolio of terpenoids and cannabinoids may magnify the therapeutic benefits of the plant’s individual components.
How is Medical Cannabis Different from the Hemp-derived Products I Can Purchase Over the Counter?
- Unlike hemp-derived products you can find at the corner store, our medical-grade cannabis products are specially formulated based on results from clinical trials to treat common symptoms associated with qualifying conditions under the Compassionate Use Program. Our products are formulated with varying levels of THC and CBD optimized for relief.
- Additionally, medical cannabis is prescribed by registered physicians to ensure proper dosing, treatment, and efficacy so patients receive the right care for their symptoms.
Safety and Purity
- Texas Original leads the state in ensuring the safety and purity of our medicine– so that you can be confident the product you receive this month is the same you will receive next month. All of our medical-grade products are crafted with the highest standards and a commitment to transparency. That’s why we publicly share our lab test results on our website for patients to access anytime. In addition, we offer tours of our facility so patients can meet with the people that grew, harvested, processed, manufactured and tested the medicine.
What to Know Before You Buy Hemp-Derived Products
If medically prescribed cannabis isn’t available for you right now, here are some things to know before purchasing an over-the-counter cannabis product.